Five academics from the University of Johannesburg (UJ) were inaugurated as members of the Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf) at the annual Awards Ceremony held on 20 October 2021.
As the country’s leading scholars and scientists, these academics were among 43 new ASSAf members, bringing the total membership of ASSAf to 632.
The new UJ members include:
- Prof Heidi Abrahamse is Director of the Laser Research Centre, University of Johannesburg (UJ) and DST/NRF SARChI Chair for Laser Applications in Health.
- Prof Ruth Stewart is Director of the Africa Centre for Evidence at the University of Johannesburg (UJ) and the Chairperson of the Africa Evidence Network.
- Prof Shireen Motala is Professor in the Faculty of Education (FoE) at the University of Johannesburg (UJ). The SARChI Chair, Teaching and Learning is located within the FoE.
- Prof Kapil Gupta is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Technology at the University of Johannesburg (UJ).
- Prof Nnamdi Nwulu is a Professor of Electrical Engineering and the Director of the Centre for Cyber Physical Food, Energy & Water Systems (CCP-FEWS) at the University of Johannesburg (UJ).
ASSAf has a core function to honour the country’s most outstanding scholars by electing them to Membership of the Academy. ASSAf Members are drawn from the full spectrum of disciplines.
New Members are elected each year by the full existing Membership. Membership of the Academy is a great honour and is in recognition of scholarly achievement.