The University of Johannesburg (UJ) has become the first and only African university to be invited to join one of the most prestigious and innovative university consortia in the world, the Universitas 21.
Universitas 21 is an international network of the 27 research-led universities from 17 countries. The aim of the group is to facilitate partnerships between the members, creating opportunities on a scale that none of them would be able to achieve while operating independently.
Member universities collaborate on areas such as research-inspired teaching and learning, and provide wider advocacy for internationalisation.
UJ’s membership of Universitas 21 comes at an opportune time as it complements the strategic direction of the institution.
With 2 500 international students representing 87 countries out of a total of 48 000 students, the university is poised to grow its international profile by expanding its international student body, intensifying the mobility of students and increased research collaboration. Ambitious targets have been set in this regard.
Universitas 21 includes the following universities:
3. Chile – Pontificia UniversidadCatólica de Chile
5. Hong Kong – University of Hong Kong
6: India – University of Delhi
7. Ireland – University College Dublin
8. Japan – Waseda University
9. Mexico – Tecnológico de Monterrey
10. New Zealand – University of Auckland
11. Singapore – National University of Singapore
12. South Africa – University of Johannesburg (UJ)
13. South Korea – Korea University
14. Sweden – Lund University
15. The Netherlands – University of Amsterdam