The University of Johannesburg (UJ) has noted with concern attempts by a tiny minority of students to disrupt the University’s academic programme and engage in criminal activities at its four campuses, even as the overwhelming majority of students have shown a commendable determination to get on with their studies.
UJ Vice-Chancellor and Principal, Prof Ihron Rensburg, warned that all those who were instigating and participating in criminal activities would be dealt with severely and face the full might of the law.
“We are determined to proceed with our academic programme and allow students to prepare for their end of year examinations. Indeed we note that more than 99% of students do not support the dubious agenda of the less than 1% of students who seem adamant to disrupt the University’s activities,” he said.
Prof Rensburg added that all academic programmes and other activities such as graduation ceremonies would proceed as scheduled.
To this end, and to ensure the safety of staff, students, visitors and property, UJ had also implemented heightened security measures, and is in the process of taking disciplinary steps against those students who had been identified as being at the heart of the current disturbances.
In the meantime and in light of the current climate at universities around the country, UJ’s Future Walk, an initiative aimed at raising funds for the “Missing Middle” which was planned for Sunday 2 October 2016, had been postponed until further notice.
“The safety and security of our staff, students and community is of utmost importance to the University. Communication regarding the rescheduled event will be issued in due course,” Prof Rensburg said.